Sunday, August 23, 2009

"District 9" - Yowsa!

I'm not a fan of science fiction and I generally avoid the subset of sci-fi that features aliens. Nothing personal; it's just not my thing. But, with a wide open Sunday afternoon looming in front of me, I decided to check out DISTRICT 9. Yikes, what a film! Although my husband immediately fell asleep (so what else is new!), I couldn't do anything but watch, fascinated.

This movie is extremely well-made and well-acted. The documentary feel to the camerawork might make some feel queasy but the style works for the film. A film featuring an unknown, directed by an unknown and costing a mere pittance compared to the boring stuff cranked out by the big studios is refreshing indeed. Long live unknown actors...isn't it great to watch a movie without the preconceived notions that most well-known actors bring to their roles? Economics being what they are, studios are going to continue casting famous faces and we'll continue to see these movies. But, to catch something as fresh as DISTRICT 9 because of its unknown qualities is exciting and fun.

Years ago, when I was earning my Master's in writing, I had a great screenwriting professor who preached one concept over and over: Conflict. Maybe Neill Blomkamp took a class from my professor because, boy, did his movie drip with conflict! Every setup, every scene, every bit of dialogue was bulging with it. The conflict started immediately with the opening frame and didn't abate till the screen blacked out two hours later. I was a nervous wreck through much of the film but that reaction is precisely what any filmmaker wants!

The film moves along at a quickened pace. There's lots of violence for the fanboys. And, there are even some touching scenes between the alien dad and his son, the "little one." Mostly, there's excitement galore. Yes, I was squeamish through some of it and yes, the movie gave me a bloody headache. But, it successfully kept me in my seat despite my lack of love for the genre. And that's what any filmmaker wants, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment